Monday, May 11

HOH??

I have trouble with the term HOH or Head of Household. To me, it seems to designate the person who runs the house and handles all the small details of everyday life. That would ideally be a housekeeper (grin) but in our case it's me. Lash of course handles all of that at his condo when he's living at his job, but I don't think that's what was meant when the term originated. (BTW, I wonder who invented it.)

I don't think of Lash that way, but rather as the head of our family or - since it's now just the two of us - of our marriage. We have redefined our roles as husband and wife and, when we call each other by those names, they are rich in the complexities of that redefinition. The name Husband now includes overtones of his dominance, authority and protection as well as his roles as disciplinarian, provider and lover. When he calls me "Wife", I feel obedient, submissive, feminine, protected, loved and sometimes spanked. It has added levels of depth to our relationship but has also simplified many things. Since this is a busy day for me, I think I'll postpone further explanations until another time.

5 comments:

PK said...

I like the names 'wife' and 'husband' for the reasons you mentioned. Sounds like you guys are doing great.

Hugs,
PK

ZED and ginger said...

Technically, I agree with you. I mean....how can you be head of a household when you have NO idea how it runs?? LOL.....

I always likened it to an owner of a company in that way. Isn't involved in the day to day detailed aspects of making his company run, that's up to the minions (lol) but he has a vested interest in it running well, and the final decisions rest with him.

I know that's a bit of a more impersonal explanation compared to our VERY personal relationships. But, I always saw "head" as meaning "leader" --- and usually your "household" is considered your "family". So, leader of the family. :)

I agree with you tho -- we women who run the household, we're definitely the "heads"....lol.

g.

Meow said...

Thanks for the comments, PK & ginger. I'm writing a little more about this HOH thing today. See you around, Meow

A.S.S. said...

It's funny how labels usually need to be explained, which more or less defeats the purpose of using them in the first place. Like you, we have "our form of DD." There are certain elements of "HoH" in what we do, but we almost never use that term. If we're giving the 5 second answer... it's "We have a DD relationship." If we're going to explain in any depth though, there is no need for the HoH label.

enjoying your blog,
:)
~Todd & Suzy

Daisychain said...

All those titles are ambiguous I feel, and through necessity. We all interpret them differently. Those who take them literally, well, good luck, but to me, thats a bit OTT.
Our relationship is equal in every respect, but, where there is discord, Davey has the final say. I give my opinion and he values it as much as his own, but, someone has to make a decision, and if we are not in full agreement, he takes the responsibility for that. He protects me, mostly from myself, lol. It works for us. We all have to "tweak" the "rules" to work for us in our unique circumstances, don't we? xxx