Monday, July 11

Passive vs. Submissive

     The idea for this post came to me while reading profiles of some bloggers in DD marriages or trying to start DD relationships.  Some of them described themselves as sassy or feisty or hard to handle or similar phrases.  I wondered how hard it was to define yourself that way and then try to be submissive and obedient to a dominant partner as many of them say they hope to become.  It seemed to me that it meant changing your entire self-image.  So I started to think about it.     I spent most of my life in passive mode:  compliant, unassertive, detached, malleable, uninvolved.  Part of that has to do with my personality.  I'm very introverted, tend to be an observer rather than a participant, prefer to follow rather than lead and hate to make decisions.  Passivity also made it easier to get along growing up in my family, church, school and the society of the 1950s.     Since submissive and obedient fall under one of the definitions of passive, they should have been easy for me, right?  Guess again!  I came to learn that my outward passivity covered up inward rebellion.  I went along with what authority taught but believed what I wanted to believe and just kept it inside.  Of course it came out in a million passive-aggressive behaviors from sarcasm to forgetting to "accidents".       Since Lash and I started using our form of DD, with expectations of some degree of submission and obedience on my part, I've had to come to terms with that inward rebellion. I could have complied outwardly, acting the part of a good wife and rebelling inwardly.  Or I could really, truly change the way I thought of myself and my relationship with authority in the form of my husband.     It has been a long journey to put that inner rebel in her proper place.  She still lives inside and I think of her as a friend who keeps me from acting out in destructive ways.  I retain the right to think my own thoughts and believe what I believe without necessarily expressing them when it could hurt a friend or family member.  I also do not let her come between me and my husband.  Inside of me also lives that good wife who actually wants to please, wants to obey, wants to submit.  I can treat my husband with respect, honor, honesty, obedience and love and I can do those things actively, not passively!  I can work at keeping the rebel and the good wife both alive and healthy inside.  They aren't enemies, but coexist peacefully.  I need them both.       I believe that we don't have to give up being who we are when we enter a DD relationship.  We grow, we stretch the limits of who we are.  We learn new behaviors, thoughts and emotions and become less controlled by our former self-image.  We gain freedom by submitting and gain independence by obeying simply because we choose to do both.
     

11 comments:

PK said...

I really enjoy reading a post where I see myself or gives me the idea for a post myself. I too have always gone with the flow and done as I was supposed to. When I didn't no one knew, I was low key. But I'm so used to nodding in agreement and then doing what ever the hell I wanted to do, that it's a hard habit to break. Since Nick never checks too hard behind me it's easy. My problem is that I wish he did check and do something about it.

I'm glad you're back.

Hugs,
PK

Daisychain said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, Meow, I missed you!!!!!!
I am so glad you are back, with your insight and wisdom and loveliness!
I thought this was a lovely, intuitive post. You seem to have that knack of writing just what we all know, but can't put into words. Thank you!!xxxxxxxxx

findingsara said...

Very well said Meow. I have never been passive in personality, but I also have learned to work on my inner self, the submission that comes from the heart. In my case, I am still the sassy and sometimes bold gal he married, but I temper that with respect. Grant would never not want me to be me! Sara

Stormy said...

Awesome post. It gives me some hope for my rebellious side to learn to coexist with the submissive wife my husband deserves. I am far from naturally submissive, but I make baby steps and don't give up.

Meow said...

PK, Lash isn't usually looking out for what I do wrong. I sometimes have to confess and he appreciates that I come to him when I need some help in certain areas.

Daisy, Thanks for the kind words.

Sara, I can still get sassy, but it's usually in fun and we enjoy the give and take.

Stormy, I think you can still be Stormy and also learn to submit and obey when its important to both of you. That's the great thing about TTWD. We change but don't give up our true selves.

L said...

Thank you for your kind and insightful comments on my blog earlier. I loved this post because that's how I've defined myself - stroppy we call it in England! I was resenting having to give up my personality and become someone I didn't know but I can see the sense of what you say and will keep on striving. Thanks again.
L

Meow said...

L, I'm so glad you dropped by and I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts.

ShafersGirl said...

I enjoyed this post. I feel exactly the same way although I have, from day one been submissive to my husband. Without even realizing it. It was something that just came naturally for me, but only with him! With everyone else I kick, scream and argue. I find now that I am slowly changing this. The longer we practice domestic discipline, the more I soften and see that fighting and arguing is not the best way. My HOH has taught me so much about myself and I see that I have made my life harder rather than easier. Thanks for your insights they really make me think.

Meow said...

Shafersgirl, Thanks for sharing that. I made my life harder than it needed to be, too. I'm learning that I can be a better person with a little help from my husband.

sarah thorne said...

I mused on the differences between the two in a blog post once. I think there is a difference between passive and submissive! Altho both words may possibly be used as synonyms for one another, I believe that is only accurate in certain contexts. I believe submission requires an action to submit, whereas passivity is basically inaction. Some of the most passive people I know I would not describe as submissive inside! They seem to widely just desire to avoid conflict, and maybe even accountability.

Meow said...

Thanks, Sarah! I couldn't agree more.