Monday, August 24

Spanking Diet Update

So far, August has been frustrating on the diet front!

I've been stalled at the same weight - or thereabouts - for about a month. Finally today, I'm down a little!
I know this is normal, but here's my immediate problem.

Last time I visited family in the Midwest (May), I gained 7#. Since then, I've lost 15# and it's been a struggle lately! Wednesday, we leave for over a week with family and I WILL NOT gain back that weight.

My plan is to tell everyone that we just can't eat out at all - that we have to eat only what we fix ourselves (we'll stay at my mom's former condo with a kitchen). This won't go over well since Lash's family eats out a lot and my mom gets sick of the food at Assisted Living and likes to go out to eat when I'm there. But.... I need to stay on track!! Lash is supportive since he's dieting, too and it will also save a bundle of $$ because we often pay for everyone when we eat out with them.

It will just take a lot of willpower to stick to our plan and resist the pull of family dynamics. Why is this so frakking hard? Partly because: I hate conflict, I hate to disappoint people, I hate to be the one to spoil everyone's fun. Too bad!! I have to look after myself this time and stop people-pleasing. I'm my own biggest saboteur! I know that! I think we'll have to work out rules with spanking consequences for Lash to enforce. Maybe.....

1. No suggesting that we eat out!
2. No giving in to others suggestions.
3. No cafe mochas when we go to the coffee shop to check email.
4. Take the scale and weigh everyday, just like I do at home.
5. Follow all diet rules that I follow at home.

Wish me luck!!

10 comments:

Brambleberry Blush said...

Hey, that's life, isn't it? You have to visit family and you have to eat, so make the best of it. Stick to your guns. Hopefully they will be tactful enough to compliment you endlessly about your new healthier lifestyle.

cheers!
Carly

Anonymous said...

That's a good idea to stick with those outlined rules while traveling. I know it can be hard at times. Be strong! Hope you enjoy your trip :-)

Florida Dom said...

Good luck. Dieting is never fun.

FD

Spnk MeRed said...

good luck

PK said...

I think you have some good ideas here. Since everyone does like to eat out you might want to plan for one or two meals out as a treat ands eat carefully. But one thing for sure - except for your mom if they want to eat out everyone pays for themself!!!

Hugs,
PK

Katskia said...

This is the thing. You can do it. And if you do have to eat out, really watch what you choose.

People do not particularly like or support dietary changes in others; it makes them feel guilty. :)

I'm just saying....

The OTHER PK. *wink*

Daisychain said...

Hi, Meow!
I can comment here, (as Davey will testify) I made a whole visit to him in NY, we ate out every meal, (or took takeout back to the hotel room) and I lost weight!!!!
You just need to choose what you eat carefully. I mostly just had a starter which usually lasted me 2 meals!!! (I could not BELIEVE your portion sizes in the US!) I had chicken, with salad, as vegetables are thin on the ground in restaurants!
I did not eat your bread, or your butter, as both contain SUGAR???? Yeucchhhh!
For breakfast, in Dennys, I scanned the menu, NOTHING on it that was healthy, so I asked for a bowl of fresh fruit, and they obliged, with surprise that I didn't want a mound of pancakes!
Why don't you allow yourselves ONE meal out, and try ordering healthy? Its a challenge, but I KNOW you can do it! And if more did, why, a new trend could start all over the USA!!!
Hugs, Daisy xxxxxxxxxxxx

Davey said...

Meow, I will attest to the fact that Daisy lost weight while staying here. She forgets to mention that she had a lot of "exercise" while here. She is right however, if you choose carefully 1 or 2 meals wont hurt you..
Good luck and much love,
Davey

ronnie said...

Meow, stick by your guns with family but enjoy yourself as well.

Do eat out 1 or twice, just choose something small and when the bill comes get Lash to work out what it would cost shared and say "that comes to about $ each" and only put his share down, I know easy said than done, I know we've been there.

Have a lovely break.

Love.
Ronnie
xx

Meow said...

Thanks for all the great suggestions! We already follow a low-carb, gluten-free and dairy-free (for Lash) diet when we go to restaurants which makes ordering very difficult. There may be one or two items that we can have if we question the waiter very carefully about ingredients. It makes eating out a chore rather than a pleasure. Besides both moms are hard of hearing and can't visit in most restaurants. I actually dread the whole ordeal so not eating out isn't a problem for me. If we can just convince the families that visiting doesn't have to involve eating out!!
Meow