Thursday, June 18

rho, rho, rho

I’ve been thinking about my last post and want to elaborate on it. We’ve all probably heard of the three behaviors we should avoid: Disrespect, Dishonesty and Disobedience (the 3 Ds). I want to focus on the things we should be giving: Respect, Honesty and Obedience (or Rho like the Greek letter ρ).


First, Respect! In the past I was sometimes (or often) critical or judgmental about things that Lash did or said. I belittled him by my words, actions or attitude. Now I choose the option of silence, non-interference or expressing approval - whatever the situation calls for. If he tries to help, but doesn’t do it the way I would do it, any of the above options are better than criticism. If he asks me a stupid question, I can answer respectfully rather than with sarcasm. These are big steps for me. But I want to go a step farther. I want to show my respect actively. I want him to know that I always think of him with respect and don’t just give it grudgingly when he demands it. How can I do this? I can offer praise and gratitude for the things he does - going to work every day, living on his own, taking care of me, being a good father, looking after my car, etc. I can let him know that I appreciate how hard it is to make the transition from husband to Husband in a DD relationship. (We use Husband rather than HOH.) When he spanks me - after I get done crying and “ouching” and pouting - I can thank him and let him know that even though it hurt, I love feeling his strength and masculine energy. I can kneel in front of his chair for a hug, I can go to meet him when I hear him coming home, I can compliment him for his efforts, successful or not. I can keep Respect for him in my heart every day.


Next, Honesty! It’s more than just not telling lies. I need to keep in mind the things he wants to know about my thoughts, my feelings and my life. I need to remember that he is not a mind reader. I need to confess the things I’ve done wrong and the things I’ve done right, letting him share my triumphs as well as my failures. I need to be open about my sorrow and my joy. I need to let him know when my needs aren’t being met and when he does just the right thing. I need to open my mind and heart to him, trusting that he won’t stumble around, but will tread carefully. I need to let Honesty be a beacon to light the way for him to know me better.


Finally, Obedience! Early in our DD life, I realized that I had been disobedient every day of our marriage. He gave no orders, but I knew what he wanted in his heart - the kind of wife he wished for and deserved. Every time I acted in a way that opposed those wishes, I was disobeying. Now I want to grant the wish in his heart and be the wife he deserves by obeying his rules, his orders, his suggestions. I also want to anticipate his needs, think ahead to try to please him and watch out for the little ways I can serve him.


None of this is in any way demeaning or one-sided for me. In return, I get his Respect, Honesty and a sense of Order that comes from his dominance. So we both rho, rho, rho our boat together. I’m not sure where the shore is, but we are enjoying the water.

8 comments:

Sara said...

Meow, I thought this was wonderful! I feel very much the same, not engaging in the 3 Ds is one step, but actively doing those things that make my husband feel respected, cared for, and appreciated has been the next. I too am working on it...it's a daily effort. The lovely thing is the more I give, or bend, the more he gives back, and then some. Not demeaning in the least!

Daisychain said...

What a fantastic post, Meow! Yes, what you write is what I strive for...I will get there one day!
And, who cares where the shore is, floating about on the water of life is refreshing and fulfilling, if you are with the one you love. xxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Meow, these 2 posts really spoke to me. DD has really taken my focus off myself and put it on my husband. I never thought about how self-centered and unkind I was in the early years of our marriage. We are both happier and more respectful of each other now.

Angela

Meow said...

Thanks, Sara! It's true - the more I give, the more I receive and I think that's true for both of us.

Thanks to you Daisy! I hope you and Davey float off together soon!

Angela, Glad you stopped by. Yeah, it's about Us now rather than Me and that makes a big difference!

Peace, Meow

Anonymous said...

Meow, I really liked your post. I have to work hard on these things too. I have to be very consious about trusting Brad with my feelings. It wasn't that long ago that we both denied each other all three of these things. Spanking and DD has been a gift in our lives too.

Ally

Meow said...

Welcome, Ally! Glad you stopped by. Sounds like you're fairly new to this, too. We keep working on these things all mixed together with love, of course, and it does keep getting better. Meow

Anonymous said...

Love the new look, you are so like me!! Rearranging gene to the max! I loved the post and as have all the other women, agree wholeheartedly. Thanks for sharing!

Mrs M said...

Meow, this was a wonderful and somewhat touching idea/post. It actually made me re-think how I sometimes treat my husband, and I would like to try this as well *cross fingers*.

We are all imperfect after all, and none of us deserve lack of support, kindness or general respect (especially not our husbands)!

Mrs M x