Tuesday, October 27

Spanking and Role-Playing

     You either "get it" or you don't when it comes to kink.  I can appreciate, admire or envy what others do or I can sit here, reading blogs, and be perplexed, confused and turned off.  I don't say disgusted or repelled, because #1) I believe that adult consensual play is very different from abuse or exploitation, which would disgust me, and #2) there are places I just don't go, things I have no interest in reading.  Non-consent and non-adult fall into a very different category, of course, and I'm not addressing that.  
     Role-playing is one area that seems to be fun or exciting for a lot of people.  I just don't "get" it.  There is no little thrill inside when I think of dressing up or acting.  I have no desire to pretend to be someone I'm not in order to get a spanking.  I'm kind of "color blind" in this area.  It just seems gray and unappealing to me.  That may be why age-play in all it's forms - child/parent, student/teacher, etc. - is mystifying to me.
     A lot of role-playing seems to be a re-playing of times in our lives when we had no power or control over events.  I really don't want to go there.  I hated being subject to the whims of adults when I was a child and I hated being seen as "less than" by authority figures because I was an adult female.  Probably it's because I hated being powerless in the past that I need to work out the dynamics of powerlessness now.
     Now, many vanilla outsider would see me being spanked by my husband as role-playing or age-play (or disgusting).  Some people involved with ttwd might see it that way.  Heck, I have sometimes had trouble defining it to my own satisfaction.  Maybe that's what I'm trying to do here.  
     To me, spanking is an adult activity that allows me to voluntarily give up control and power to another person, not because it is easy or fun for me but because it is the hardest thing I do.  It can't be temporary, as in a "scene".  It can't be on and off whenever I feel like it.  It has to be real and mutually beneficial and done with the one person I trust to use that power wisely.  It touches something deep inside that I thought I would never explore.  It is emotional and also spiritual, in that I believe that I grow spiritually when I visit those dark, frightening, secret places and open them to the light.
     It has nothing to do with past abuse - there was none.  It has everything to do with my own way of dealing with the world.  I have been passive, avoiding conflict, holding my thoughts and feelings to myself, staying away from power exchange situations, nursing my fears inside and above all, not trusting anyone - even Lash - to see those fears.  Entering into a DD relationship of my own free will meant changing basic life-long habits and traits.  Spanking is one of the means to this end, but the major factor is my willing submission and obedience, placing enough trust in another person to give him these gifts and risk their rejection. 
     I read the blogs of many women who concentrate on the dominance of their partner as the Holy Grail of DD.  And that is a personal situation that I can't judge.  For me it is my voluntary submission that is the biggest hurdle I face.  Even when Lash is working in a distant state, I can work on my submission because that battle is inside me, always with me.  I love feeling his dominance but he doesn't force me into submission, I have to reach deep and find it within.
     This is a long way from my comparison with role-playing.  I think it would be fun... sometime. I think, if I didn't have Lash to work on this with me, I might consider it as a way of getting inside to deal with these issues - but it seems like a heavy weight to put on some random top!  Anyway, to those who do it - Have Fun!  Thanks to all those who read this far in a long and rambling post.  Hugs to all!
     

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meow, sometimes the role playing sounds like a fun game, but I just can't seem to get into it.

For me, spanking is a very adult activity. We don't spank the children in our house, only the two adults.

Anonymous said...

Meow - I would be way too self conscious to try role play. I think Brad and I would end up giggling our way through.

The there are a couple different functions that spanking serves for me, but they are grounded in reality. I know what you mean by struggling with submission because of fears and trust. I deal with that too.
Ally

Janet said...

Meow,
When you said, "I have been passive, avoiding conflict, holding my thoughts and feelings to myself, staying away from power exchange situations, nursing my fears inside and above all, not trusting anyone - even Lash - to see those fears. Entering into a DD relationship of my own free will meant changing basic life-long habits and traits."

I knew exactly what you meant. Holding in all my thoughts and feelings was taught to me at an early age by an emotionally abusive mother. It carried into my marriage and for 26 years I held everything in. It didn't work very well. I still have a hard time opening up to my HOH. I am getting better with his help and love. I can't believe we lived as long as we did with no communication.
I hope DD has helped you in this area as much as it has helped me.

As far as role playing...Uh, No thanks. But like you that is just me.

Anonymous said...

I'm not much of an actor. I've attempted a little role playing with Motorcycle Daddy. I usually giggle or do my best to play along with his story line. However, I honestly prefer the real world where I have yet found a Dominate man who is will or capable of spanking me in order to help me stay focused and to be more organized etc... Of course most of the guys who come and go in my life like the idea of spanking, but most aren't able to lead me. You are blessed to have found such a man to spend your life with. I'm happy for you both that the DD helps balance your lives...

Big Hugs,
kitten

Anonymous said...

Greg is so serious much of the time, it would never happen. I appreciate that you shared so many things along with the topic. It was very enlightening. I've often thought the what I'm possibly doing is in fact replaying. By facing and making loss of control something I can finally deal with. I couldn't do this without Greg - I tust him implicitly.

I'm grateful for your words: I love feeling his dominance but he doesn't force me into submission, I have to reach deep and find it within.

This is something I've been struggling with lately and I'm very glad you said it.

Hugs,
KayLynn

Meow said...

Mick, People describe it as such fun, but I can't get into it either.

Ally, I would be self-conscious, too and Lash would hate it. Trust has always been a big issue for me and DD is helping.

Janet, DD has helped me tremendously with trust and communication!

Kitten, There truly is a difference between a play partner and a leader and I am so blessed! I hope you find a leader some day!

KayLynn, Finding that submission within is always a struggle - really feeling it, I mean!

Hugs to all, Meow

Sara said...

That was a thought inspiring post Meow. I know some struggle with their HoH learning or finding his dominance. That was never our issue. But, at the same time, he has refused to take. Only what is freely given is acceptable to him. That has made me look into myself and grow. I am sure role play is fine, as a game, just not our thing either...BUT...please don't compare it to real interaction in a DD marriage. It just isn't the same at all!

Meow said...

Sara, I don't think I compared DD and role-playing, at least not in a favorable light. Not everyone is in a long term relationship with DD as a possibility and some may try to deal with trust and control issues through role playing. It might help some of them, but I would never compare it to what I've gained through 38+ years of struggle (and joy) with the same partner. It's an entirely different dynamic. Meow

s. said...

We do some role playing (as a "game", but not often) and also live with a very real DD dynamic in our house.

For me, the fantasy of non consent is titillating (and if you've read romance novels where the girl is whisked away against her will, and has pleasure forced upon her by the man who desires her beyond all else, you'll see that it's obviously a common fantasy). Being powerless at the hands of someone who has total control is a fantasy. However, I would never want to experience *really* being under complete control of someone who wanted to harm me!! Who does?? Role play, for some, is a way to experience those fantasies in a safe, contained way.

s.

Sara said...

Meow, I'm sorry. I was not addressing you there at all. I thought that was clear, but I guess not. I was talking to 'those people' out there who lump it all together, not understanding the differences.

And yes, s and Meow, I don't think there is anything wrong with any kind of play a couple enjoys, as long as they are clear that it is play. Having fun is important too!

s. said...

It's funny how we're all falling all over apologizing. "Oh, I didn't mean...." LOL

I am about to do it, and that was my lead in! Sara, I was only trying to shed a bit of light on why it may appeal to some people, not refuting something you (or others) said. :)

I am well aware that most in our group really is hunky dory with others doing with one another (consensually) what floats their boat. And if they weren't, well...pffft to them anyway!! :-D

s.

Meow said...

s., I can see the titillation in these loss of control fantasies, but I just can't seem to get into it personally. I'm probably not a very good actor. It sounds like you know how to enjoy it! Our lighter moments are more about teasing and joking with each other.

Sara, The written word is subject to misunderstanding so often. No inflection, no face to face contact. I didn't think you meant it in a bad way but just wanted to clarify my point of view. Thanks for clarifying yours. No apology necessary!

Hugs, Meow

Daisychain said...

Hi, Meow!
Your post really made me think and admit some things to myself! I like Davey to TAKE control, because then I don't have to freely GIVE it, but can seem reluctant and therefore not "lose face". But he sees right through me, which is why he flatly refuses to drag me over his knee, instead he tells me to place myself over it, which I really hate to submit to doing (though inside it reaches a spark that sends a thrill flooding through me! I usually stand there trying to outstare him (I fail every time, but have to try anyway!!) before this inside fight for control has to admit defeat!
So, yes, much of what you said really made sense to me.
He has said in the past, he can almost visually SEE my inward battle played out on the gamut of emotions racing across my face!

As to the role play, being as we are so far apart, we tell role playing stories sometimes, just for fun, it fires the imagination, but I somehow cannot see myself in real life running round the house in nothing but a frilly apron!!!
Hugs, Daisy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx