Monday, December 21

Holiday Traditions


     Lash left for his work site yesterday and called last night to tell me his schedule for the week.  It looks like he'll be working non-stop with barely enough time to sleep.  He's especially tied up on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day all the way into the 26th.  
     Now, I have choices in this situation.  I can be all grumpy and pouty and stay home alone. (The old me!)  I can help serve free dinners for a local charity. (We've done this before and it was fun!)  I can go to my daughter's house for Christmas. (Weather depending!)  I can stick close to Lash at his workplace - he'll probably have free time to spend with me and there are places I can be out of the way. (This looks like my #1 choice right now!)  I could even share the holiday with friends. (Some are probably alone, too!)
     We've spent many holidays (including birthdays and anniversaries, etc.) like this.  The nature of Lash's work (and mine too before kids) is that it includes holiday work.  Long ago we had to decide what was really important and what was just trimmings.  What is really important is the love we share with each other and our families.  Our love for each other is celebrated every day!  We don't need a special meal or place or gift to show that love.  
     My MIL asked my husband when we'll "do" Christmas since he'll be at work.  I think her idea of "doing" Christmas is having a special meal and opening gifts.  It's not official unless you "do" it that way.  
     Now, I love the traditions of Christmas, but I also love being free to make our own memories.  The year we served free meals gave us wonderful memories.  I'm sure this year will be unique and memorable, too, in a non-traditional way.  We'll "do" Christmas in the lobby or waiting room or lounge at work.  I'm sure there will be a tree and Christmas music and traditional food in the cafeteria.  And even if there's no mistletoe, I bet we can sneak in a few kisses.  I'm looking forward to it!


I hope your Holidays are full of love and all the good things that make it special for you!!


Hugs to all,  Meow


PS:  I think this is my 100th post!    

18 comments:

strivingforpeace said...

Last year we "did" Christmas Januar 27th -- it felt just as much like Christmas as December 25th.

You have a wonderful holiday -- no matter what you guys end up doing -- YOU make the rules.

sfp

PS -- Thanks for listing me on your blog -- I get a ton of traffic from the link on your site!

Hermione said...

I like the idea of enjoying the spirit of Christmas wherever you are. It sounds like your plan is a fine one. We will "do" Christmas on the usual day, and will enjoy the time we spend with each other.

Hugs and Merry Christmas,
Hermione

Katia said...

This Christmas is different for me with Luke gone too. This is also the first Christmas away from my older children. I too, have chosen not to pout, but am enjoying some new traditions with my youngest daughter. Christmas is about family, and family is all year round just not on the 25th.
Happy Holidays Meow!
Katia

Janet said...

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 100TH POST.

Janet said...

Oops pushed the wrong button and it posted before I could finish. I think Christmas like TTWD is different for everyone there is no wrong or right way to do it. I agree with you however, I would give up everything to spend Christmas with my HOH no matter where he was.

Whatever your decision enjoy Christmas!! Both of you!

Sara said...

I love your optimism and your perspective Meow. I agree, it is all about the moments we create with people we care about around us. I am sure your Holidays will be special whereever you are!

ronnie said...

You have the right idea Meow. Have a wonderful time wherever your are.

We are at our home this Christmas and I'm looking forward to it.

Love and best wishes to you, Lash and your families.

Love.
Ronnie
xx

Meow said...

sfp, I hope your holidays are just what you want! It's nice to know you get traffic from my site. I don't watch statistics.

Hermione, I agree that it's the Spirit of christmas that's important! Have fun!

Katia, Enjoy the time with your daughter. I'm sure you'll make it special!

Janet, Thanks! Happy Holiday to you , too!

Hugs to all, Meow

Meow said...

Sara, I like to think of myself as optimistic. Thanks!

Ronnie, Enjoy your time at home over Christmas!

Blessings!!! Meow

Fabsterrant said...

Meow from me and mine to you and yours the best of Christmass Holidays always.

Hugs, Fab

Brambleberry Blush said...

"Do" Christmas any way you feel like it, Meow. Whenever Lash is available spend a little special time together~that's all it takes to make the holidays wonderful.

Wishing you all the best.

cheers!
Carly

Meow said...

Fab, Merry Christmas to you and yours, too!!

Carly, It's so good to hear from you! Happy Holidays!

Hugs, Meow

Anonymous said...

I love holiday traditions. Merry Christmas!!

xo,
kitten

Anonymous said...

The best holidays tend to be nontraditional and often unplanned, in my experience. All that matters is that you have people you love close by!

The merriest of Christmases to you and Lash, Meow =D

<3
Maggie

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite Christmas memories involves me, my guy and a decorated candle left over from my wedding reception. No crowd, not a lot of gifts, but we had each other and I remember it better than any of the extravagant galas.

The two of you, a candle and hot chocolate, sounds like a plan.

The spirit of the holiday is within.

Merry Christmas to you and yours :)

Anonymous said...

Hope it worked out. Christmas is when you are together, not really relevant as where that is. Best wishes
Red

Anonymous said...

It isn't hard at all to start making money online in the hush-hush world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat affiliate[/URL], You are far from alone if you don't know what blackhat is. Blackhat marketing uses little-known or not-so-known methods to build an income online.

Anonymous said...

It isn't hard at all to start making money online in the hush-hush world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]seo blackhat forum[/URL], You are far from alone if you have no clue about blackhat marketing. Blackhat marketing uses not-so-popular or not-so-known avenues to build an income online.